DeKalb’s food distribution event on Saturday will battle high food prices
DEKALB COUNTY, GA – The DeKalb County government is partnering with local faith leaders to distribute 5,000 boxes of fresh fruits and vegetables, dozens of eggs and 10-pound bags of chicken hindquarters this Saturday.
“High food prices continue to plague working families and seniors struggling to keep food on their tables,” DeKalb County CEO Michael Thurmond said in a news release. “DeKalb County and our church partners are organizing this food distribution to help ease this burden.”
Starting at 9 a.m., food distributions will take place at the following Decatur locations:
• Beulah Missionary Baptist Church, 2340 Clifton Springs Rd., Decatur, GA 30034
• The Covenant Church, 1700 Corey Blvd., Decatur, GA 30032
• Shy Temple CME Church, 2030 Wesley Chapel Road, Decatur, GA 30035
Locations near DeKalb County:
• New Birth Missionary Baptist Church, 6400 Woodrow Road, Stonecrest, GA 30038
• Berean Christian Church, 2201 Young Road, Stone Mountain, GA 30088
• Big Miller Grove Missionary Baptist Church, 3800 Big Miller Grove Way, Stonecrest, GA 30038
• Saint Phillip AME, 240 Candler Road. SE, Atlanta, Georgia 30317
• Rehoboth Baptist Church, 2997 Lawrenceville Highway, Tucker GA 30084
The county is using US federal bailout funds to buy the produce and the chicken.
Since May 2020, DeKalb County has distributed 73,100 boxes of food, according to the county.